Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Jujitsu and the need of physical touch.


 Hello all,

Tonight’s practice was good; I discovered that a version of the north south choke is becoming a go to move of mine. It mainly comes from Judo; better know as Kuzure Kesa Gatame. In the tenth planet system it’s referred to as twister side control. The main thing that I have to work on is sinking my strong arm (left) deeper around the neck, while trying to connect both my hands together, the challenge then is getting my right arm to flow along with me. Due to my CP, it has a habit of sticking to my body. Several years ago, I had Botox injections in the palm of my right hand and arm. It really was painful, and the doctor was a real nut job… Most doctors wear gloves when handling needles right? He would jab the needle into my palm, and I would scream out in agony, in a small way, I think maybe I know how Jesus felt. Anyway, the particular system of Tenth Plant forces me to be flexible, in terms of working the high guards with my legs. Though to be truly honest, in a tournament I don’t think I’d spend so much time trying to get my leg up that high, I’d much rather do what I do best and go for the kill. There were a few moments during the session where I could feel my self growing angry, due to the fact that a lot of times I get got in what’s called a snap down, what pretty much means the person hanks your head down towards the mat and as able to go for a choke easier. My problem is my lack of control in my trunk, and when my body gets tired, it leaves me open. I’ll tell ya, when I’m out there on the mat I tend to forget about every thing else that’s going on in life. And, it also plays a huge role in physical interaction, I’m actually writing a book about something called Skin Hunger, which has to do with physical touch and so on. Jujitsu really meets that need. Most of us don’t think of it in those terms. Skin hunger is all about the longing of physical touch, and the lack there of it in society. It’s proven that physical touch can boost one’s over all mood and outlook on life. So I find it interesting, what 40 some minutes of wrestling can do for a person, sure, you can get upset, but my over all point is that we sometimes have no idea what are physical interactions could do for someone. Some people don’t get many chances in a day to be around people, either because their reserved, or something else is preventing them such as being able to get out of the house. So maybe if we have these interactions maybe would could stop and think about what were doing. Because maybe some people don’t have even that much interaction, and so for them a body slam or head lock is awesome. Haha!

Lastly, in last weeks post I used a mountain as a way of describing the climb to the top. I thought tonight that, maybe being it the bottom isn’t so bad, because when you get to the top, you have to get back down, and sometimes you have to pull others up along the way.

I was going to compete in a tournament in August, but my coach lovingly said that I needed more time on the mat, and I appreciate that.

Also. I might think about filming a short video of takedowns and throws that can be done on the knees, that most anybody of any condition can do. Hope these thoughts provoke thought into your own mind; lets use our bodies until we no longer can use them.

Until next week.
-Brandon/TheCPWarrior

4 comments:

  1. I had never thought of contact sports as providing satisfaction for skin hunger. Makes sense.

    My second thought was...some persons do not Like skin contact. For instance I avoid hugs. Hand shakes are okay. But I feel uncomfortable with hugs given during casual "helloes" and "goodbyes".

    Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment,

    I can understand where you're coming from, that too makes sense. Yet
    what I have discovered is that just people avoid it, doesn't always mean
    that they don't long for it. It might just be less than other people, but it is there. Also, perhaps it just would take you time to open up to it more. Which is fine as well.

    -Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well - its time to be real - Brandon, I suffer from severe anxiety, panick attacks, and have been diagnosed with PTSD - those closest to me understand how disabling this has been for me since 2006 when my life fell completely apart - chemo twice - liver cancer, breast cancer - survived these challenges physically but something just wasn't right in my way of thinking and interacting with people. For 4 years Ive been under intense mental health training using a system that relies on meditation and learning skills to reduce the effects of PTSD - in 4yrs I never was able to get closer than sitting next to someone - physical contact was challenging for me - my good friend Ashley has been by my side thru it all - and she coaxed me forever until I just dove in - what therapist were trying to do for 4yrs, jiu jitsu did for me in 2 months - living in the moment - right here right now - when Im on the mat Im not living in my past or my future I am with my breath and in the present and the present is not so scary - exposure therapy of things you fear helps to remove a fear especially if its invalidated immediately - I hug now, I smile more now, Iam okay for social consumption - but it took steps to get here - jiu jitsu is my path to healing and it is the gentle art - if you only knew me before - you wouldn't believe how I had to live to feel "safe" - we weren't made to be islands - we were made to be social and have lovingkindness towards our friends and family - thank you for this post - people are important each and every person out there is important - and we all need that human interaction and touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you shared those thoughts with me.. yes social interaction, touch can be shocking conquests to vast amounts of people. But as I replied to the first comment above, it doesn't negate the fact that the need/longing is there. A lot of times it takes people baby steps to open up to it. I personally wish that I was able to get people in the grappling community to think about the amounts of physical contact that there is. It does so much for me in all phases of life.

    ReplyDelete