Saturday, December 22, 2012

Why We Should Take Care of The Physical Self.

So,

It's been a long while since I updated this blog, I'm still training, but I'm also busy pursuing a psychology degree. I've been lifting weights a lot and increasing the amount of calories that I take in everyday. My teammates have notice that I am getting a lot stronger. My next tournament is January 19, and I am pumped because it's a submission only tournament with no points!

I wanted to take some time to explain why it is, I practice the art of Jujitsu or various forms of grappling arts. Quite simply, I grew up around the grappling arts, so it really has become a second nature so to speak, or a first love of some kind.

My history in grappling started off under Sifu Larry HartSell, who just so happened to be one of Bruce Lee's original students. From their, I studied Judo, along with various styles of grappling such as: Shoot Wrestling and Catch Wrestling.

When I first started out, I was in love with it, as I kind of still am, though now my motive behind doing it has changed. It's a joy for me now, I do it because I know it's a gift that could have been very well taken from me.

What I mean is that, there are people who don't have the ability to move their bodies and be physically active. Because of different physical conditions, that in all honesty would love to be able to train as an athlete in any shape or form, yet cannot.

And so, I carry this burden within in me that says that I need to make the most of my physical body. Yet, not taking it for granted at the same time. Which is something I feel so many of us do on a daily basis. I do it as well, I've racked up ours in the gym, not thinking about others who would do anything to be in my position.

    It forces me to not take myself so seriously, and yet gives more focus and purpose at the same time, I've yet to win a match in any tournament, but you know what? I'm okay with that, because I know that just as easy as ability is given, it can be taken away.

I have to remind myself of why I walk this path, and that is because It's a gift and joy, and an honor to represent any ever person that would love to be able to do as I am, but can't. All in all, the point that I'm drawing us to, is that. 1) We should not taken for granted our bodies and physical abilities, and 2) out of the honor for those who cannot, we ought to keep a balanced perspective of ourselves, while still trying to be the best we can be physically, because if you have the means, then there is no reason why one can not take better care of ourselves. 

I hope this inspires and motivates you.

-Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment